Salads are not only healthy, they are always in season - around the year. Most salads are easy to prepare and fit as a delightful side dish to almost all main courses, but even as a low-calorie main course, they are a pleasure on hot days. If you pay attention to the slim line in the summer or just want to do something good for the body, then salad is the perfect choice. Crunchy summer salads such as head and iceberg lettuce, Kraussalat or Lollo Rossa are a low-calorie and at the same time healthy and colorful pleasure.
Salad: calories and ingredients
The green or red-green leaves provide the organism with beta-carotene, vitamins B1, B2, and B6 and vitamin C. Especially minerals such as potassium, phosphorus and magnesium as well as the "hematopoietic" trace element iron are contained in lettuce. The energy content of most types of salad is currently included 15 to 20 kilocalories per 100 grams.
Despite its abundance of water, lettuce is well-saturated, as the fiber it contains swells in the intestine and also positively influences digestion. Favorable for the metabolism is also the relatively low sodium and the high potassium content, the drainage ("Purification") of the body. Since salad is consumed raw, no vitamins and minerals are lost through heating or cooking.
Especially the rather outer, rich green lettuce leaves contain valuable ingredients. Apart from the leaves on the outside, the more Nitrate and pollutants should therefore be included if possible.
Lettuce: lettuce, ice lettuce and Batavia salad
In the summer months head, ice and Batavia salad from the outdoor season. They belong to the lactuca or lattice group. Since all three form a more or less firm "head", they are often referred to as lettuces. Typical of the salads of the lettuce group is that when cutting the strunk and leaves a milky juice escapes.
- Despite many new types of salad is lettuce still popular. It tastes neutral and is therefore versatile to prepare - an ideal base for mixed salads of all kinds. When the outer, hard leaves of the thick, firmly closed head and the strong ribs are removed, the leaves can be washed and plucked into bite-sized pieces. Lettuce is not only available in green, but also as a red variant. This is free of bitter substances, but less durable.
- As a special breeding direction of the lettuce, the much larger ice or iceberg lettuce established. The color of the fleshy to brittle, but juicy leaves varies from yellow to dark green. Also red varieties are known. Because of its crisp bite and its good shelf life, the ice lettuce quickly found its followers. So it can be several days - even cut or teilentblättert - easily packed in a plastic container or damp cloth in the refrigerator.
- A breeding of head and ice lettuce is the Batavia; In terms of size, he lies somewhere in between. This also applies to the condition of the leaves and for the durability. The taste is spicier than lettuce. Its slightly curled, thick-fleshed leaves are yellowish, green, dark reddish-brown or green with reddish edges, depending on variety and season.
Dress salads and pickles salads
Decorative and tasty are the ruffled leaves of oak leaf salad, Kraussalat, Frillice, Lollo rossa and Lollo bionda. From May / June to October, the individual varieties come fresh from the field.
Especially in the winter months are additionally crosses of oak leaf and Batavia, red Kraussalate, crossbreeding of lettuce and Romana or ice-Kraussalat from the greenhouse under the name "Scarole" offered.
All mentioned varieties are called as Cut and pickles salad, as they do not form lettuce heads, but single leaves that grow from rosettes. The term "Schnittsalat" comes from earlier than you like these fast-growing salads in your own garden grew. When harvesting, one family cut just as many leaves as needed for a meal. The curly lettuce leaves have the property namely to regrow twice after the first cut.
Oak leaf salad, Lollo rossa / bionda and Frillice
- oak leaves salad gets its name because of the shape of its long, narrow and jagged leaves, is stronger in taste than lettuce and has a slight hint of hazelnut. It is available in light and dark green variants as well as in red. Its soft leaves are extremely sensitive, so it has to be handled gently and quickly consumed after shopping.
- The leaves of varieties coming from Italy Lollo rossa and Lollo bionda on the other hand are quite hard and robust, but have a soft edge. Both spicy, slightly bitter and nutty-tasting salads can be kept in the fridge for a few days.
- Frillice is a relatively young variety of lettuce from Holland. It combines the crunchiness of the ice-cream salad and the jagged salad edges with the decorative appearance of the Kraussalat. Frillice contains more vitamin C than head-forming salad types and tastes like Romana salad ("summer endive") slightly herb-aromatic.
Even from leaves of wild plants or garden flowers can prepare a delicious salad - just think of dandelion, nettle and nasturtium. Often you can even use their beautiful flowers as an edible ornament. However, only the young, tender leaves are suitable for consumption.