Many know the annoying problem: Dark clothes are taboo - on them, namely, the bright scales that trickle constantly from the scalp, especially good. Dandruff are cosmetically disturbing, but usually harmless. Because the scalp is - like the rest of the skin too - subject to a constant process of renewal. Normally, new skin cells take about 4 weeks to get to the skin surface and be repelled there as a dandruff. This Abschilferung is therefore normal, but may occur more frequently in certain disorders or diseases. Constant cell renewal and faster rejection of the horny cells can lead to dandruff, some of which can be seen by the naked eye.
Why do dandruff arise?
Dandruff can be caused by very different factors - the triggers in detail can often not be clarified. The causes include a hereditary predisposition, the tendency to increased sebum production (seborrhea), hormone fluctuations, stress, climatic conditions (eg dry heating air in winter) or simply the wrong hair care. But even a yeast fungus called Pityrosporum ovale can lead to the annoying evil.
On the scalp - as well as on the entire skin - are fungi and bacteria, which are essential for a healthy skin climate. They are kept in balance by a sophisticated control system. However, under the influence of certain factors, the growth of the yeast fungus may increase uncontrollably. The fungus thrives particularly well when the sebaceous glands produce a lot of sebum.
8 tips against dandruff
In order to stop excessive colonization with Pityrosporum oval, only the fight against the cause - this yeast fungus helps. For this purpose, there are special, degreasing shampoos in pharmacies that contain agents that counteract the growth of fungi. The high rate of relapse in the treatment of dandruff is a major problem, which is why it is recommended to take a course (twice a week for 3 to 5 minutes over about 4 weeks) and then preventive use (once a week to half a year).
Between each treatment, the hair is washed with a normal, very mild shampoo. Unlike other fungal diseases of the body, the yeast fungi that cause dandruff are safe and non-contagious. Nevertheless, something should be done about it:
- Rinse the shampoo thoroughly. Avoid too hot water when washing your hair and hot blow-drying, which irritates the scalp even more. If possible, let the hair dry in the open air. Regular brushing distributes the sebum from the scalp in the hair - and thus deprives the yeast fungus of its food.
- Even if the scalp itches, it is important to avoid scratching. In the worst case, it can otherwise lead to wounds, which can cause inflammation and infections of the scalp.
- Aggressive remedies that irritate the scalp should be completely avoided.
- Avoid stress as much as possible, or at least reduce it, as it can be easier to shed in "stressful times".
- Reduce sugary foods as sugar can favor the growth of mushrooms.
- For the shampooing of simple dandruff shampoos are suitable, which have a moisturizing effect and prevent the increased formation of new cells. Always use a mild shampoo in between. The reason: Anti-dandruff shampoos often dry out the scalp and thus increase dandruff. Therefore do not use constantly!
- Sun helps against dandruff - so let a lot of fresh air to the skin and hair.
- And otherwise: Try the intake of Schuessler salts - daily 20 tablets No. 8 sodium chloratum; Dandelion or horsetail tea (3 to 5 times daily 1 cup) support your hair metabolism. Treat yourself daily a head massage - a well-circulated scalp develops less dandruff.
Because of dandruff to the doctor?
Dandruff can usually treat themselves well. However, if the scalp is inflamed, reddened, wet, covered in crusts, or even losing hair, you should consult the dermatologist. Even simultaneous skin changes in other parts of the body or if the dandruff can not be controlled with a shampoo, should give rise to a doctor visit.