- What makes barley grass a superfood
- Grow and buy barley grass - this is how it works!
Barley grass is becoming increasingly popular among health-conscious people. Like wheatgrass, barley grass is a superfood that anyone can grow themselves and that is full of healthy minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. The young, bright green cereal leaves can be enjoyed as powder, capsules or as barley grass juice - if you do not like the taste, you simply mix the food supplement into your cereal or smoothie. What ingredients in barley grass and what effect barley grass has on health, you can find out here.
Healthy vital substance combination
Barley grass is considered very healthy. In particular, the balanced combination of the contained vitamins, minerals, trace elements, enzymes, antioxidants and phytochemicals is what makes barley grass so popular. In addition, the grass has a high bioavailability - The ingredients are so easily absorbed by the body.
Originally, the popularity of barley grass on a several decades old investigation of the Japanese scientist Dr. Yoshihide Hagiwara back. Compared with over 150 other green plants, the young grain was the front runner: seven times as much vitamin C as oranges, eleven times as much calcium as milk and four times as much vitamin B1 as wheat wholegrain flour contains barley grass, according to the study of the scientist.
Since then, barley grass has gradually conquered the market of dietary supplements.
Barley grass - full of vitamins and minerals
That barley grass is full of valuable ingredients, is undisputed. The grass contains almost all of the essential vitamins, including Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D2, Vitamin E, vitamin K, which is important for blood clotting, and various B group vitamins - including vitamin B12 and folic acid.
The exact composition of the ingredients of barley grass powder may vary slightly depending on the manufacturer. The amount of minerals per 100 grams of powder can look like this:
- 3.4 milligrams of zinc
- 18 milligrams of sodium
- 37 milligrams of iron
- 179 milligrams of magnesium
- 437 milligrams of phosphorus
- 832 milligrams of calcium
Added to this are potassium, and copper, as well as selenium and manganese, which are needed for cell protection and cartilage building.
Other ingredients of barley grass
In addition to its content of vitamins and minerals barley grass also scores with bitter substances, chlorophyll, enzymes and all essential amino acids. In addition is Barley grass rich in fiber, which have a positive effect on the digestion.
Also, the nutritional value of barley grass powder may vary depending on the manufacturer. On 100 grams are usually only 2 grams of fat - but 26 grams of carbohydrates and at least 304 kilocalories (kcal). With a share of about 28 percent, the green powder also contains plenty of vegetable proteins, which make it particularly attractive for vegetarians and vegans.
However, one should not forget that barley grass has a high density of healthy nutrients compared to other foods, but it is also consumed in significantly lower quantities.
Rich in antioxidants
Barley grass contains many different antioxidants, including the flavonoids saponarin and lutonarine, and the isoflavonoid isovitexin. Antioxidants boost the immune system and are considered an important remedy against the harmful effects of oxidative stress and free radicals. They not only have an anti-inflammatory effect, they also have a cell-preserving effect. Thus, they can slow down the aging process and protect the body from cardiovascular disease as well as make types of cancer.
Another substance contained in barley grass with antioxidant effect is the phytochemical Proanthocyanidin. This is intended to protect the fiber proteins and thus help to maintain the elasticity of the skin and connective tissue and to tighten the skin.
Effect studied in various studies
Because of its different ingredients barley grass is attributed a healing effect in numerous complaints and illnesses. Some of the effects of barley grass have already been studied, with larger studies usually pending.
Among other things, the following effects of barley grass were found in research:
- Barley grass can lower the level of harmful LDL cholesterol in the blood. A high one cholesterol can promote arteriosclerosis and consequently a heart attack or stroke. In a study by the China Medical College in Taiwan, the cholesterol values improved by taking barley grass extract after only four weeks.
- Barley grass is also said to have a positive effect on diabetes. In another study, published in the International Journal of Green Pharmacy in 2010, not only the cholesterol level in diabetics, but also the daily intake of barley grass powder Lower blood sugar levels.
- The substance lunasin contained in barley grass seems one anti-cancer effect to own. In particular, the development of skin cancer and breast cancer could be prevented with the help of lunasin in laboratory tests of Korean researchers. Clinical trials are still pending.
- In a study by the scientist Osamu Kanauchi sprouted barley alleviated the symptoms of the chronic inflammatory bowel disease ulcerative colitis and helped to improve the intestinal flora. In general, the anti-inflammatory effect of barley grass may be added Intestinal problems, such as candidiasis, have a positive effect. In addition, the grass can help to regulate the water balance in the intestine and thus reduce the incidence of diarrhea.
Many effects on health are suspected
Although only isolated aspects of the effect of barley grass have been investigated so far, the fresh leaves alone are considered to have a high health value due to their ingredients.
For example, for athletes, grass is popular for supporting muscle growth due to its high content of plant proteins. Also, chlorophyll, the green plant dye, is considered very healthy, because it supports blood formation and wound healing and can have a positive effect on the intestine.
In addition, the young cereal should:
- thanks to its potassium content it has a stabilizing effect on blood pressure
- as a basic food to the acid-base balance to be beneficial and help against hyperacidity and detoxify the body
- be helpful with allergies and skin problems like atopic dermatitis and acne
- thanks to a specific enzyme and various amino acids stimulate the lipid metabolism, dampen the feeling of hunger and thus support weight loss
- relaxing, soothing and mood-enhancing. Therefore, barley grass is recommended for people with stress or sleep disorders. Children who suffer from ADD should even help to concentrate better.
- have a positive effect on the hair and contribute to combating hair loss, dandruff and premature graying. Because these problems can be the result of nutrient deficiency - here barley grass is supposed to help by promoting melanin production and supporting hair growth.
However, these effects of barley grass have not yet been scientifically proven.
Side effects of barley grass
Barley grass is considered to be well tolerated and free of side effects. Nevertheless, there are reports about digestive problems, especially diarrhea, nausea or vomiting. Therefore, it may be advisable to start with a low dosage and carefully test the tolerance of barley grass.
It is also possible allergic reaction on barley grass, which is noticeable by tingling, swelling or burning in the mouth. Who at one Intolerance to gluten should be cautious, depending on its own tolerance limit: Although barley grass is gluten-free, traces of gluten may be present depending on the manufacturer.