Strawberry Time! The red delicacy laughs again of market stalls and plantations and offers one of the healthiest pleasures of the summer. Most people can not get enough of strawberries, and that's not necessary: strawberries consist of 90 percent water and, with their surprisingly low nutritional value of 32 kilocalories per 100 grams, provide enough vitamins and minerals.
Are strawberries healthy?
Strawberries taste delicious and are an ideal "slender fruit". Of course, this is only as long as you do not dip it in whipped cream or sugar. It is best to enjoy pure strawberries or a yoghurt sauce sweetened with a little honey. Then strawberries are not only a complete pleasure, but also a valuable contribution to a healthy diet.
Here are six reasons why strawberries are so healthy:
- Strawberries contain more Defensive Vitamin C as oranges.
- Nutrition experts have been promoting it for a long time because of its high content of folic acid and iron against anemia on.
- The high calcium content protects the bones from osteoporosis.
- Potassium and magnesium protect the heart.
- Strawberries contain salicylic acid, the complaints of Gout and rheumatism relieves.
- Secondary plant compounds from the group of phenolic acids protect against cancer and prevent atherosclerosis.
5 facts about strawberries - © Silke Hamann
Strawberry: Ingredients of a serving
ingredients a large portion of strawberries (250 grams) at a glance:
- 80 kilocalories
- 1 gram of fat
- 40 micrograms of folic acid
- 162.6 milligrams of vitamin C
- 62.6 milligrams of calcium
- 37.6 milligrams of magnesium
- 362.5 milligrams of potassium
Shelf life of strawberries
Because of their high water content, strawberries are sensitive to pressure, perishable and quickly lose their aroma. Therefore, care in transport and storage is paramount. Loosely laid out undamaged fruit one to two days in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator.
For washing, briefly douse the whole berries in cold water and gently pat dry. In order not to dilute the aroma, it is advisable to remove stems and leaves only after washing. Fresh strawberries not only taste better, they are also healthier. The contained vitamins and phytochemicals suffer from long transport times. One should therefore prefer strawberries from local regions.