The expression on the breakfast table speaks volumes: a grim face, sleepy eyes, hanging shoulders. The mouth does not speak. Only some grumbling is to elicit him, in the best case a "yes" or "no". A morning muffle. Started awake too early, he starts his day grudgingly and takes hours to really get going. One in four Germans calls themselves a poll for morning muffle. Not infrequently triggers for arguments and allegations like: "Can not you talk properly?" - because the morning mood is perceived as rudeness.
Sleep researchers are now in the mornings: In fact, the researchers demonstrated in experiments that the internal clock in some people just goes on for an hour, you biorhythm gets going later.
Both psychologically and physically, they start later and are not fully capable in the early morning hours - they can hardly concentrate in the first lesson or can not work their way back to work.
Morgenstund has gold in the mouth - not for morning muffle
Whether someone starts early in the day early or is difficult in the morning, is genetically conditional and depends on age from. This was the result of research by the University of Munich and the University of Surrey, United Kingdom. While children are fit early, teens struggle to get going. Seniors, on the other hand, tend to start their day very early.
And also the daylight plays a role. In the dark season, the lack of sunlight makes additionally tired. But so-called morning muffles are not entirely at the mercy of their internal clock. With a few tips you can make the most of the morning.
Graduate psychologist Frank Meiners first advises to exclude a possible organic cause. "Sometimes one is low blood pressure, a so-called hypotension, causes people to torment themselves when they get up. "Dizziness, tinnitus and cold hands and feet are symptoms that speak for it.
Jump start in the day
Is the biorhythm "to blame" on the teething problems, can a purposeful exercise program help to get better in the day. Especially stretching exercises and movements that stimulate the circulation, provide the missing momentum. On light breakfast provides the necessary energy for the day.
Those who do not "get down" in the morning because their stomach is still asleep should eat at least one piece of fruit or a yoghurt and take a second, richer breakfast to school or to work, advises nutrition expert Hanna-Kathrin Kraaibeek.
But also the relatives should take an advice and do not take the morning miserliness personally, but simply leave the muffle alone. "Allegations do not lead to success and aggravate the situation rather," said Meiners.
Tips for morning muffle
- Do not jump out of bed immediately. stretch and first stretch your arms and legs - even lying down. With an exercise, you can start the cycle already in bed: Lie on your back and pull your knees as far as possible towards the chin. Stop and repeat a few times.
- light helps to wake up easier. It ensures that the brain stops producing the sleep hormone melatonin. In autumn and winter, when the morning sunlight is absent, a timer on the lamp helps. Also helpful is music with flowing rhythms. Studies have proven the positive effect on the psyche.
- Recharge your batteries at the window or on the balcony and make some simple ones exercises like squats and arm circles. A warm shower invigorates the circulation. Even light brush massages promote the awakening.
- Make a good one sleep - Do not eat too late, sleep in well-ventilated rooms, go to bed early enough - that contributes to a pleasant morning.
- coffee or other caffeine-containing beverages make you happy. Be sure to drink caffeine-free drinks in the morning to replenish your fluid balance after the night.