Pizza is generally considered to be rather unhealthy - after all, many pizzas deliver large amounts of fat and therefore many calories. But depending on the dough and topping, pizza is not that unhealthy in reality. According to an Italian study, regular consumption should protect us from even a heart attack. Of course, pizza is the healthiest option if you prepare the Italian specialty yourself. We reveal which topping is healthy and give you a delicious recipe to follow along.
Pizza: Rich in calories
How many calories a pizza contains is decided by dough and topping. A typical Italian pizza with thin dough, lots of vegetables and a little cheese, for example, brings about 550 calories. A Pizza Quattro Formaggi, on the other hand, beats fast with 850 calories. If you want to save calories, stick with the evidence above all Cheese and salami back.
In addition: The thicker the dough, the more calories has the pizza. So the difference between a thin Italian and a thick American pizza can make up to 300 calories. The calorie content is especially high when the rim is additionally filled with cheese.
Regular consumption protects against heart attack
According to a Milan study, regular consumption of pizza is not bad for our health despite the many calories. The study found that people who eat pizza twice a week are only half as likely to have a heart attack as people who occasionally eat pizza.
Whether or not pizza is healthy depends first and foremost on covering from. If you grab too much sausage and cheese, the meal is certainly anything but healthy. Instead, rather put on abundant vegetables when picking.
But not only the rubber, but also the rubber dough plays an important role. When preparing make sure to use high quality ingredients and then roll the dough as thin as possible. It is best to prepare the dough with olive oil: olive oil is rich in unsaturated fatty acids, which have a positive influence on blood lipid levels.
Prove it healthy
For the pizza to be as healthy as possible, the following ingredients are recommended for proofing:
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes should not be missing on any pizza - whether sliced or as a sauce. Because the red fruits not only contain a few calories, but are rich in vitamin C and lycopene. The dye has an antioxidant in the body and can thus protect us from cardiovascular and cancer diseases.
- Spicy herbs: Not only tomatoes but also herbs like basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary and thyme contain many antioxidants. Spread the herbs so generously on your pizza. This can also save you some salt - this is often too much in the dough.
- Onions and garlic: Onions and garlic contain many sulfur compounds that counteract the clumping of platelets. As a result, they help to prevent a heart attack.
- Paprika: Peppers are extremely low in calories, but still contain plenty of vitamins and minerals. Take the best with red peppers, they contain a lot of vitamin C.
- olives: Although olives have more calories than peppers, they are still healthy because they are rich in unsaturated fatty acids and phytochemicals that can protect us from cardiovascular and cancer diseases.
- mushrooms: Mushrooms are largely made of water and can therefore be eaten without a guilty conscience. They are also healthy because they provide our body with valuable calcium and magnesium.
While you can safely access vegetables, you should join Salami or ham be frugal on the other hand. If it's absolutely sausage, lean ham is better than greasy salami. It is best to cut the ham into thin strips, so that the pizza can be covered even with small quantities.
Also cheese You should only use it in moderation, because it contains large amounts of animal fat. However, it is also rich in calcium, thereby strengthening our bones and teeth.
4 Tips for a Healthy Pizza - © istockphoto, VadimZakirov
Frozen pizza rather unhealthy
While frozen vegetables are considered to be relatively healthy, caution should be exercised in ready meals such as frozen pizza. Because many ready meals are produced in the laboratory using colorants, flavorings and preservatives as well as flavor enhancers and binders. However, there are big differences between individual products.
Therefore always pay attention to a high quality of the product with frozen pizzas. Take a look at the list of ingredients directly in the store and look for a pizza without many flavor enhancer and flavorings caught. If you spice up the pizza at home with some fresh vegetables, even a frozen pizza is no longer unhealthy.
Healthy Pizza: recipe to make yourself
Preparing pizza yourself is not only fun, it's also healthy. Because then you can decide for yourself which ingredients come in the dough and on the pizza. Here you will find a delicious recipe that you can use to make pizza yourself.
1. Mix the following ingredients together for the dough:
- 400 grams of flour
- a packet of yeast
- two teaspoons of salt
- 200 milliliters of lukewarm water
- five tablespoons of olive oil
At least partially use instead of light wheat flour dark wholemeal flour. This contains more vitamins, minerals and fiber and makes you feel full for longer.
2. Then leave the dough in a warm place for at least 30 minutes and then roll it out thinly.
3. Coat the dough with tomato sauce and then fill the pizza to your liking.
4. At 200 ° C, the pizza can then be baked in the oven until golden brown.
Ideally, combine the pizza with a fresh salad or a delicious fruit salad for dessert. This will allow you to upgrade the meal altogether and you will not have to feel guilty if a little more cheese has landed on the pizza.