Potatoes are an indispensable part of the German diet. French fries, potatoes with quark, potato pancakes or fried potatoes are just a few of the many uses for the nightshade plant. The type of preparation has a major impact on the health value of the potatoes, because the tubers themselves contain little fat and only a few calories. Of course, if they are deep-fried or baked with cheese as a casserole, of course, that changes quickly. We will show you what potatoes are all about and which recipes with potatoes are especially healthy.
Potatoes: a lot of carbohydrates, few calories
Potatoes are known for their high content of carbohydrates and are therefore mistaken for fattening. In fact, tubers, also known as the earth apple, can be good helpers in losing weight.
Although potatoes provide a lot of carbohydrates, but for a long time full. They contain many nutrients, but almost completely no fat. These properties are not to be underestimated, because carbohydrates do not even have half as many calories as fat.
Boiled potatoes only boil down to 70 kilocalories per 100 grams - even less than rice that delivers more than 100 kilocalories in cooked form.
Nutrition facts of potatoes
Raw potatoes are indigestible to humans because of the starch they contain - only when cooking does the starch change and make the vegetables edible for us. The average calorie content and nutritional value are almost the same for raw and cooked potatoes. They contain:
- 78 percent water
- 16 percent carbohydrates, mostly in the form of starch
- 2.1 percent fiber, which stimulates digestion and produces a long-lasting satiety effect
- 2 percent protein, which can be extremely well utilized by the body due to the high content of essential amino acids. Of all the vegetable protein suppliers, potatoes even have the highest proportion of usable proteins.
- 0.1 percent fat
In addition, potatoes provide vitamin C, vitamins B1 and B2 as well as niacin (vitamin B2), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) and vitamin B6, the amount depending on the type of preparation. Also as a source of the minerals potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium potatoes are well suited. Gluten, cholesterol or gout promoting purines are not included in potatoes.
Health value depends on the type of preparation
That part of the valuable vitamins and minerals of the potatoes is lost during cooking is, unfortunately, inevitable. To keep the loss of healthy ingredients but low, potatoes should be unpeeled and boiled whole or boiled with little water or steamed.
The following examples show how the health value of potatoes changes due to the way they are prepared:
- jacket potatoes have more vitamins than boiled potatoes, which are peeled and cut into pieces before cooking.
- Become Potatoes in the oven baked, they lose water, which increases the concentration of their other ingredients.
- At the Cooking in the pressure cooker more vitamins and minerals are lost than when cooking.
- Mashed potatoes contains mashed potatoes and butter and milk. Depending on the amount added, the fat and calorie content in mashed potatoes is significantly higher than in potatoes.
- French fries or potato chips are made with plenty of fat and at high temperatures and therefore belong to the unhealthiest potato varieties.
- fried potatoes from raw potatoes have a lot of nutrients, because all ingredients remain roasting in the pan. But it is important that you prepare the potatoes with little fat.
Incidentally, sweet potatoes are only very distantly related to the potato. With 111 kilocalories per 100 grams, however, they are significantly higher in calories than potatoes.
Potatoes as medicine?
In addition to their effect as a slimming agent and their healthy ingredients, potatoes are still valued for further health effects. In folk medicine comes the basic acting potato juice For example, for stomach problems or heartburn and - externally applied - for injuries and ulcers used.
Also potato wrap have established themselves as home remedies. It is often recommended to crush boiled potatoes in a tea towel with a cough or sore throat and to put it on the chest after a short cooling or to wrap it around the neck. The potato wrap then donates continuously a soothing heat. Even with earache or sinusitis, such a potato packet should provide relief.
In addition, American scientists found that the regular Eating blue potatoes can lower the blood pressure slightly. Due to the small number of study participants, however, the results of the study can not be considered scientifically proven.
Losing weight with the potato diet
While the low carb diet banishes potatoes mostly from the diet plan, the potato diet relies entirely on the versatile tubers. The recipes include dishes such as baked quark potatoes with cottage cheese or unsalted herbal-flavored jacket potatoes.
Cold potatoes should be even better for losing weight, for example in potato salad. Because when cooling, part of the starch is converted into the fiber inulin. But it is important to drink a lot during the diet so that the fiber in the digestive tract can swell better.
Solanin - poisonous substance in potatoes
But not everything about a potato is healthy: just like the expelled germs, green spots on potatoes contain the neurotoxin solanine, which can cause nausea, diarrhea, and headaches in large quantities.
Therefore, in the preparation of potatoes germs and generously cut away green areas become. If a potato is colored green over a large area, it is advisable to throw it away completely. In small children and people with weakened immune systems, one should be particularly critical in the selection of edible pieces.
Since the shell of potatoes always contains some solanine, you should cook the vegetables with shell, but peel before eating better, especially if you often eat potatoes. One exception is early potatoes, where most nutrients sit under the shell, which is why these small potatoes are usually eaten with peel.
6 facts about potatoes - © rawpixel
Store potatoes properly
The green spots arise when potatoes are stored too lightly. Therefore you should always potatoes Store dark. For example, paper bags offer the option of keeping the potatoes protected from light, without sweating.
In addition, the potatoes should be stored at 5 to 10 degrees Celsius in well-ventilated rooms with high humidity - then they can even be preserved for several months.
By the way, potatoes are suitable not good for freezing, otherwise they will get watery and lose their taste. Boiled potatoes should be frozen for a short time at most.
Tips for buying potatoes
Potatoes are often treated with anti-sprouting agents against sprouting germs, which can also enter the pulp in small quantities from the skin. Therefore, it is advisable Organic potatoes to buy, especially if the tubers are to be consumed with shell.
In addition, the potatoes should appear dry and firm when buying. From discolored, shriveled or damp potatoes, you should rather keep your fingers.
Flour-leaking or firming potatoes?
There are around 5,000 different varieties of potatoes worldwide. On the basis of their cooking properties, potatoes are divided into hard-cooking, predominantly hard-cooking and floury-cooking varieties which are of varying degrees suitable for various uses.
- Hard-boiled potatoes have less strength and retain their shape when baking or cooking. They are therefore particularly well suited for example for potato salad, gratin or fried potatoes. Known firm potato varieties are Linda, Nicola, Cilena or Belana.
- Predominantly hard-boiling potatoes Jump up easily during preparation. They are used for the production of salt and jacket potatoes, French fries, soups or rösti. This category includes varieties such as Laura, Agria or Gala.
- Mehligkochende potatoes They often burst during cooking and are therefore particularly suitable for mashed potatoes, stews, dumplings or dumplings. Representatives of this kind are Adretta, Melina or Freya.
In addition, potatoes may also differ in the color of the pulp, in their shape and in the texture and color of the peel.
Cook potatoes - you should pay attention
Before cooking, you should thoroughly wash potatoes and remove any shoots and green spots with a knife. Then place the tubers - ideally undivided and with a bowl - in a pot of cold water so that they are just covered with water. When the water boils, add a pinch of salt and reduce the temperature. With the lid closed, the water should now simmer only slightly.
How long potatoes have to cook may vary depending on the variety. A rough guideline is 15 to 20 minutes from when the water begins to boil. The duration also depends on the size. It is recommended to select tubers of similar size for cooking and to test at the end of the cooking time by gently tapping with the knife, whether they are soft on the inside.
If they are cooked, the potatoes are poured off. Quenching with cold water can make peeling easier, but is not a must.
9 ideas for healthy recipes with potatoes
Potatoes are enormously versatile. They are suitable for hearty dishes, such as baked potatoes when grilling, as well as for sweet foods, such as potato pancakes with applesauce. Here are nine healthy recipe ideas with potatoes:
- Arugula and potato soup: For this quick and easy starter, potatoes are cooked in vegetable stock and then mashed with fresh rocket.
- Apple and potato casserole: Apple slices, potato slices and onion rings are alternately layered in a baking dish. Leek cream soup can serve as a sauce.
- Potato wedges with parsnips and carrots: All ingredients are cut into small pieces, the potatoes are seasoned with paprika powder and a little salt and everything is cooked in the oven with a little oil.
- Potato-Leek Soup: The soup is a classic and can be prepared with or without minced meat.
- Potato and kohlrabi puree: After cooking, the potatoes and kohlrabi are simply mashed together. Carrots can also be mixed well with the puree.
- Potato-vegetable casserole: In the casserole, for example, broccoli, cauliflower or zucchini can be processed.
- Asparagus with potatoes: A healthy alternative to the popular hollandaise sauce, for example, is a wild garlic pesto that goes particularly well with green asparagus.
- Potato cucumber salad: The salad is a summery refreshing garnish, for example when grilling.
- Potato and pumpkin soup: The autumnal soup can be prepared, for example, from potatoes and Hokkaido pumpkin.
As the recipe ideas show, potatoes offer numerous opportunities to eat a varied and healthy diet - the imagination knows no bounds.